A New Chapter in Our Journey: Merging Open Source Spirit with Sustainable Development
by Oliver Zehentleitner
Dear UNICORN Binance Suite Community,
It's been an exhilarating journey together over the last five years. From a simple open-source project to a software suite boasting half a million downloads, we've come a long way. I've been humbled and thrilled to witness countless businesses flourish and grow, using the UNICORN Binance WebSocket API. As the proud maintainer, I have worked diligently to ensure our software remains up-to-date, bug-free, and evolving. This process, while rewarding, is also demanding, both in time and resources.
To ensure that we can continue to deliver the high-quality updates, bug fixes, and support you've come to expect, it's time for a significant change.
Synergizing Open Source and Sustainable Business
After much contemplation and dialogue with many of you, I'm proud to announce the adoption of the LUCIT Synergetic Open Source License for the UNICORN Binance Suite. This shift seeks to blend the transparency, trust, and collaborative spirit of the open-source community with a model that sustains the project's ongoing development and support needs.
So, what does this mean for you?
- Transparency & Trust: The software remains open source on GitHub. You can still view, study, and extend the code as before. This transparency ensures you can trust the code you're integrating into your trading systems. In addition, we now have a Trusted Publisher Deployment Chain with GitHub Actions. Through a defined workflow, Cython, PyPy and Plain Python Source Code Wheels for Windows, Linux and Mac are automatically created from the source code of the respective repository and subsequently uploaded to PyPi, GitHub and Anaconda. In this way, we offer full transparency, maximum performance and the greatest possible compatibility. We are also keeping an eye on the Mojo Superset and will strive for the best possible results here as well.
- Legacy Commitment: Everything that's been available until now will remain free of charge. We stay true to this promise. However, while it remains accessible, it will no longer receive updates. Starting October 7, 2023, any updates to the UNICORN Binance Suite modules will necessitate a valid license from LUCIT.
- Exciting Innovations Ahead: We started today with the release of UNICORN Binance WebSocket API 2.0.0 (GitHub Action for Trusted Publishing) which has already implemented the new licensing system. In the interval of 2-3 working days we will release the remaining modules in a new major version. Along with this change, we're committed to rolling out a slew of enhancements. All future versions will be compiled with Cython and PyPy boosting performance and ensuring compatibility. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! We promise even more advancements and improvements to come.
- License Purchase: To use the software suite, users will now need to purchase a license from our Online Shop. For those wishing to test out the software first, we also offer a trial license in the shop. Prices start as low as €9.99 per month for the smallest subscription. This fee will directly support the ongoing development and maintenance of the project.
- Sustained Quality: With this model, we'll be better equipped to address bugs quickly, cater to support inquiries, and release frequent feature enhancements, ensuring you get the best out of your trading systems.
Your Contribution Matters
While we're introducing a commercial facet to our journey, the heart of our mission remains rooted in community collaboration. We welcome contributions, ideas, and feedback, ensuring the UNICORN Binance Suite remains by the traders, for the traders.
To our users who've been with us from the start, we value your continued trust. To newcomers, we're excited to show you the power of our suite and the strength of our community.
Together, we are building a bridge between the open-source ethos and a sustainable business model. I genuinely believe that this is a modern approach to software development, providing utmost value to our users while ensuring the project's longevity.
Learn how you can easily integrate the UNICORN Binance Suite into your project.
Founder, LUCIT Systems and Development
Do you have any questions? We will be happy to answer them in our chat - usually you will receive an answer within a few minutes during our opening hours.